Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Tatiana


Tatiana 6" x 6", Transparent Watercolor on Yupo
This was painted in memory of Tatiana, the tiger who had been caged at the S.F. Zoo. The events that transpired that day are still untold, but it seems that Tatiana was being taunted by some punks who were carrying sling shots. She escaped her grotto and behaved like a tiger, killing one guy and tracking down and mauling the other two. So, she was shot and killed. One less tiger this world could not afford to loose. If humans would leave wild life in the wild, where it belongs, tragedies such as this wouldn't happen.

As for this painting, it's my first attempt using Yupo synthetic paper. It was very fun to paint on something that responds like nothing else I've used before. It's almost like painting on glass. The paint pools and can be hard to control. Obtaining tight, photo-realism is not an option using this type of paper.

7 comments:

Ron Morrison said...

This is terrific! I'll get some Yupo.

Michelle Smith said...

Thanks, Ron. I think you'll enjoy painting on it, too.

Pablo Villicana Lara said...

Hey Michelle! this is cool, I've never worked on Yupo. You must be from the SF bay area? I know Cindy Sullivan. Is Tatiana the tiger at the SF zoo? Also, you have one of the coolest websites I've seen in a while, I especially like room 2.
Thanks for visiting my blog, I'll be keeping an eye on yours
Pablo

Pablo Villicana Lara said...

OK, now I feel just silly, I always look at all the images first before reading! Of course you explained Tatiana, I read it after I posted! duh! he he he
Anyhoo, yeah, really sad about the whole situation.

Michelle Smith said...

Thanks, Pablo. How do you know Cindy? Small world!

adrienne trafford said...

really beautiful - and i'm impressed by the yupo - if that's your first time...holy cow! i haven't tried that yet since i am such a scaredy cat...

as for Tatiana...that is just incredibly sad...so nice to see someone take her side...

Michelle Smith said...

Thanks, Adrienne! I'm sure you'd do great work on Yupo paper.