Tuesday, June 14, 2011

In Your Face


In Your Face - 11" x 15", Transparent Watercolor
Portrait painting always seemed like it would be too difficult until I tried it a few times. Now I really enjoy it. Once you figure out which colors work best for skin tones, it becomes a lot easier. My favorite colors to use are various Daniel Smith's quinacridone colors mixed with some New Gamboge and a tiny bit of Winsor & Newton's French Ultramarine Blue. The hair is definitely the most challenging element of a portrait, in my opinion.

9 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

Well done, Michelle. And I agree with you about the hair - so difficult to make it look real and soft.

Prabal said...

Its been a long time.. Anyway this is awesome. And the angle is also very interesting. Loved the title. very apt. :)

Arti said...

I seldom use blue in my skin tone..yours looks good,though!
Very nice, detailed portrait- I wonder how much patience was required by hair :)

Michelle Smith said...

Thank you, Studio. Yes, the softness of hair is something that still eludes me.

Prabal, Glad you liked the title. :) Thanks!

Thank you, Arti. I use very little blue, and mostly in the shadows. It's easy to add too much and have the portrait turn out looking like a corpse.

Carrie'sCreations said...

It's fabulous Michelle. I agree with you about the quinacridone colors from Daniel Smith. They are my favorites. I'll have to try your color combo, I'm still trying to get the skin tones down. I end up doing black and white portraits.

Michelle Smith said...

Thank you, Carrie. Yes, try the Quin colors. Quin Coral is my favorite. Your black and white paintings are very striking.

ruthie said...

A Fantastic portrait, love the angle of the image. I am wanting to do portriats of my daughters, one day ;-)

Craig Cantrell said...

Wow awesome art work

Mari Jose Molina said...

Amazing what do you do with watercolor.. :)